This prominent and largely unaltered church has walls of local carboniferous limestone and a slate roof. Unusually the door and window openings, quoins, parapet and the like, are not sandstone as in … [Read more...]
Churches and Chapels
Ar ôl gwerthu Stâd Pwllycrochan ym 1865 a sefydlu Cwmni Bae Colwyn a Stâd Pwllycrochan ym 1875 gwerthwyd tir ar gyfer codi adeiladau a thyfodd y dref yn aruthrol. Roedd nifer y boblogaeth wedi cyrraedd 4,754 erbyn 1891, ac oddeutu 12,000 yn 1907 gyda thua 15,000 o ymwelwyr.
Yn ogystal ag adeiladu tai'n gyflym roedd angen adeiladu cyfleusterau cymunedol ar gyfer y nifer cynyddol o drigolion ac ymwelwyr. Roedd eglwysi a chapeli wrth galon bob cymuned yn ystod y cyfnod hwnnw a sefydlwyd nifer o gynulleidfaoedd crefyddol yn y dref. O'r herwydd, adeiladwyd nifer sylweddol o eglwys a chapeli.
Mae’r Grŵp Treftadaeth, gyda chymorth Cytûn ac aelodau o’r cynulleidfaoedd yn y dref, wedi paratoi llwybr treftadaeth a llyfryn yn seiliedig ar hanes y nifer eglwysi a chapeli yma.
The first Presbyterian Chapel, Hebron, opened in 1861 on what is now the path from Rosehill to Llanelian Road, with the houses built alongside it named Hebron Terrace. The chapel has since been … [Read more...]
The English Methodists initially worshipped in the Welsh Wesleyan Church, Bethesda, on Sundays after its morning service, in the evening above Alex Orme’s toyshop and in the week in Shiloh Chapel in … [Read more...]
The local English Baptist cause began in 1885 at 5 Twnan Terrace (now part of Pen y Bryn (25)). In 1891 a corrugated iron roofed building from Penmaenmawr, costing £60, was erected on the site of what … [Read more...]
The Welsh Baptist cause began locally in 1861 and its first chapel, Calfaria, was built in 1862 at the top of Church Walks (now two houses, nos. 15 & 16). The present building, costing £1,860, was … [Read more...]
St. John’s Church, built in the perpendicular style at a cost of £12,300, is a fine example of the work of the eminent Chester architect, John Douglas, (1830-1911), who also designed St. Paul’s Church … [Read more...]
St. John’s Church House, to the side of St. John’s Church, is another fine example of the work of the eminent local architect, Sidney Colwyn Foulkes. This community centre, built in 1936 and now a … [Read more...]
The Catholic cause began locally in a small convent in Cliff Road in 1933 run by the nuns of the Order of St. Augustine. The nuns allowed its wider use as a chapel of ease for St Joseph’s Catholic … [Read more...]
In 1985 about 1,000 Jehovah's Witness volunteers from all over the country came to build the Kingdom Hall and two days later the twelfth quick build project undertaken in the UK by the Jehovah's … [Read more...]
In 1898 English Congregationalists began meeting in Ebenezer chapel schoolroom, and in 1925 built this church. The wood from several cleared oak trees on the site was given to the poor for firewood. … [Read more...]
Built in 1837, the church’s construction was largely due to Sir Richard Butler Clough of Min y Don Hall. It was built as a chapel of ease to Llandrillo yn Rhos parish church, where he was a warden, … [Read more...]
Opening in 1815, Ebenezer was the first church or chapel built in Old Colwyn and was on land purchased for 100 guineas (£105). The cause had started in 1804 in a cottage called Bryn y Gwynt, at … [Read more...]
The Spiritualist Church has used a former house on Woodland Road West since 1935. Further information: Colwyn Bay Spiritualist Church … [Read more...]
Opposite the Princes Drive Baptist Church on Princes Drive is the building where the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints holds its meetings. … [Read more...]
The Manchester Jewish Museum has information collections relating to the Jewish community in Colwyn Bay. These include a plaque and oil painting relating to Mark Bloom. According to records Mr. … [Read more...]