The Congo Institute was established by Rev. W. Hughes, a friend of Sir Henry Stanley (of "Dr. Livingstone, I presume" fame), whom he met whilst a missionary in the Congo. On returning he set up the … [Read more...]
[:en]Churches and Chapels[:cy]Eglwysi a Chapeli
Ar ôl gwerthu Stâd Pwllycrochan ym 1865 a sefydlu Cwmni Bae Colwyn a Stâd Pwllycrochan ym 1875 gwerthwyd tir ar gyfer codi adeiladau a thyfodd y dref yn aruthrol. Roedd nifer y boblogaeth wedi cyrraedd 4,754 erbyn 1891, ac oddeutu 12,000 yn 1907 gyda thua 15,000 o ymwelwyr.
Yn ogystal ag adeiladu tai'n gyflym roedd angen adeiladu cyfleusterau cymunedol ar gyfer y nifer cynyddol o drigolion ac ymwelwyr. Roedd eglwysi a chapeli wrth galon bob cymuned yn ystod y cyfnod hwnnw a sefydlwyd nifer o gynulleidfaoedd crefyddol yn y dref. O'r herwydd, adeiladwyd nifer sylweddol o eglwys a chapeli.
Mae’r Grŵp Treftadaeth, gyda chymorth Cytûn ac aelodau o’r cynulleidfaoedd yn y dref, wedi paratoi llwybr treftadaeth a llyfryn yn seiliedig ar hanes y nifer eglwysi a chapeli yma.
The original Parish was that of Llandrillo-yn-Rhos, but with the growth of Colwyn Bay and the increase of population there was a need for a church building closer to the town. A map of 1865 shows an … [Read more...]
The first Wesleyan Chapel to be built in the area was at Bron y nant in 1809, nine years after the denomination started its mission in Wales. A chapel was started at Pen-y-bryn in Old Colwyn in … [Read more...]
In the early days of the town Colwyn Bay was part of the Roman Catholic Llandudno Mission District, which also included Conwy, Llanrwst and Penmaenmawr. In 1895 there were about one hundred … [Read more...]
The Welsh Baptist congregation in the area first met in Old Colwyn, originally in Church Walks, where they later agreed to share the building with the English Baptists. Tabernacl Chapel on the … [Read more...]
Among the nonconformist pioneers in Colwyn were the Welsh Congregationalists. They began their cause in Bryn-y-Gwynt cottage in 1804 and held regular services there for 11 years. The site of the … [Read more...]
Built in 1902 by the Welsh Calvanistic Methodist Synod as a mission outreach church from Engedi in Woodland Road, it was known as Rhiw Chapel or “the chapel on the hill”. In 1908 it became … [Read more...]
The English Presbyterian Church on Conway Road, at the junction with Hawarden Road, was opened on January 11th, 1891 by Principal Thomas Charles Edwards D.D. of the University College of Wales, … [Read more...]
September 1904 was an important month in the history of Wesleyan Methodism in Colwyn Bay. In that month many of the best known residents of the rapidly developing town gathered for a stone- laying … [Read more...]
The new 16 acre housing estate on Llannerch Road West facing the Promenade was once the impressive site of Penrhos College for Girls until it merged with Rydal School for Boys in 1995. The site was … [Read more...]
The Welsh Methodists built a Chapel on the site in Conway Road in 1873 at a cost of £700. The first Minister was the Rev. E. W. Evans, M.A., from Tarvin and his congregation was only a small one. … [Read more...]
St John’s has been rightly described as an architectural ornament to the town and in some ways could be regarded as the cathedral of English Methodism on the North Wales coast. In addition, the … [Read more...]
During the early years of the 20th century, it became evident that the Mission Church, situated in Coed Pella Road, was not sufficiently large to meet the growing needs of the west end of the parish, … [Read more...]
The Church was formally known as the Colwyn Bay English Baptist Church and was founded in 1884. At first the congregation shared the premises of the Welsh Baptist Chapel in Old Colwyn, holding … [Read more...]
There are no records of the first Quaker meetings in Colwyn Bay although it is safe to assume that they began in peoples’ homes in the 1890s. This was about the time of the development of Colwyn Bay … [Read more...]