Opening in 1815, Ebenezer was the first church or chapel built in Old Colwyn and was on land purchased for 100 guineas (£105).
The cause had started in 1804 in a cottage called Bryn y Gwynt, at the corner of Cefn Rd and Abergele Rd, with what was said to be the first sermon preached in Colwyn since the 12th century.
The first day school in Old Colwyn was held in the church, led by the Rev David Davies, who had come in 1828. Alterations took place in 1848 and the chapel was extended to seat 300 in 1860 when a new frontage was also built to face the main road. The chapel was completely renovated in 1881 when the current frontage was constructed. A schoolroom followed shortly thereafter.
Land at the rear was purchased to erect a new chapel but this never happened and it was subsequently sold for flats. In the late 1990s the old gravestones were removed and stacked in the burial ground.
The building is of simple design with rendered elevations and a slate roof, with an uncommon slate wing and roll ridge. As with several local chapels, the front elevation is of symmetrical design, rendered with what appears to be painted stone to the door and window openings. The front porch, with it pair of panelled doors and flanking arched windows, dominates the front elevation and provides some interest.
The name “EBENEZER” and date “MDCCCLX” are marked by a plaque on the gable. The side elevation facing Albert Road is somewhat plain consisting of four bays with sash windows and smooth rendered banding. A small yard separates the chapel from a schoolroom of similar appearance and materials – four bays to the side, a plain symmetrical front with tall arched windows flanking a central doorway.