The building of the first school on the Eirias site began in 1903 for the Higher Grade School. In 1919 a decision was made to change the school to a Secondary School, which opened in 1920. It later became the Grammar School.
The school was refused permission for sole use of a field in the park in February 1935. However, by May of the same year the Council’s Parks Committee had agreed to provide a public recreation area in the park for the provision of a joint football and hockey pitch suitable for children. The Central School was allowed the use of this area on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays during term time, from 11.00-12.00 and 3.00-4.00. The Council also agreed to provide goalposts at a cost of 30 shillings and the Central School would be responsible for the markings on the pitch.
The building is now part of Eirias High School.
This trail is part of the Age Friendly Communities Project which is part funded by the European Regional Development fund through the Ireland and Wales Interregional Programme 2007 – 2013.