The chapel opened in 1879 by the Welsh Presbyterians, who had previously worshiped alongside the English Presbyterians in a building on Conway Road, now occupied by Matthews Hardware store.
The church was successful and numbers grew, so in 1902 they reached out further into the community by building a mission church on Rhiw Road, which was known as “The church on the hill” or Rhiw Chapel (later to become the present Woodhill Baptist Church).
Little is known about the interim years except that the building was used by an Elim Pentecostal congregation during the 1990’s.
It is now closed and boarded up. Planning permission has been granted for its conversion into flats.
Engedi is a substantial, tall and imposing chapel standing on the western side of Woodland Road West.
The symmetrical front elevation is built in squared local limestone, with contrasting yellow sandstone used for the gable parapets, the circular window, window and door openings, quoins and buttress tops.
Unlike some of the churches and chapels in the town there is no front porch – only a slightly projecting gable with a modest sized doorway with simple boarded doors. The name “ENGEDI” has been finely carved in sandstone above the doors, and the date 1879 commemorated on a circular plaque.
The large roof is of slate, with two capped ridge vents and two small louvred vents in gables on each of the main roof slopes. Smaller hipped roofs flank the front elevation.
Worthy of noting on the front gable is the circular quatrefoil window, surrounded by eight round windows.
The side elevations are appreciably plainer – random masonry and two levels of windows divided into bays by high buttresses.
A low limestone wall, with sandstone copings, runs along the road boundary with stone pillars and iron gates opposite the main entrance.