The local English Baptist cause began in 1885 at 5 Twnan Terrace (now part of Pen y Bryn (25)). In 1891 a corrugated iron roofed building from Penmaenmawr, costing £60, was erected on the site of what subsequently became M & K’s lock up garage and was known as the “Iron” or “Tin” chapel. The present chapel, costing £2,500, opened in 1906.
This fine church, one of the area’s few very red religious buildings, has red bricks with narrow joints, a red roof and terracotta.
The church consists of four bays, separated by buttresses, each with mullioned and transomed windows, with stained glass, under arched openings with hood moulds. A rear schoolroom has a road facing gable within which are two simple mullioned and transomed windows separated by a buttress. The two are linked by a Princess Road side entrance.
The main entrance, marked by iron gates, leads to a pair of boarded doors with decorative strap hinges, with panels above of narrow strips of coloured glass.
The brick and terracotta tower and spire form a pleasing feature, linking the front and side elevations. Note the four spirelets and the stained glass window lighting the porch.
The Abergele Road gable has two stained glass windows with leaded lights. The smooth faced red brick and terracotta complement one another – note the terracotta gable coping, hood moulds, buttress tops, window cills, lintols and the window tracery.
Foundation stones on the front elevation were laid on June 14th 1905.
The boundary wall is of limestone to the plinth and coping, with polygonal granite in between. The church has survived remarkably unchanged externally, with the pleasing green paint perhaps being the original colour.