Built next to the present-day site of the Leisure Centre (point 7 on this trail) and overlooking the boating lake, the Four Oaks Restaurant opened to the public on July 8th, 1971.
The name Four Oaks originated with the oak trees planted in the park to mark special occasions, beginning with the tree planted by Lord Colwyn to celebrate the town receiving its Charter of Incorporation as a Borough in 1934 (point 4 on this trail). Four oak trees still stand near the former site of the restaurant.
A steel-framed structure on two levels, the Four Oaks Restaurant had an upper ground floor restaurant with a balcony overlooking the park and boating lake. The lower ground floor had a self-service cafeteria. There were also four lock-up kiosks – selling ice cream, confectionery and one which, for a time, sold fancy goods made of shells.
At the height of its popularity, the Four Oaks Restaurant provided a restaurant, cafeteria, lounge bar and party catering. During the summer cabaret and supper dance evenings were held which were popular with local people and visitors alike. During the 1990s it was also used as Merlin’s Nightclub but was closed due to problems with noise.
The building was demolished in 2002, having fallen into disrepair over recent years.