“The park by the sea”, as Eirias Park was once described, covers 50 acres. The first 27 acres were bought by the council on April 12th, 1921 and the remainder in 1929.
The playing fields were officially opened on September 27th, 1923. From that time to the present day the park has grown and developed into the well-used and much loved park we recognise today.
Information available for the number of visitors to the park show how quickly its popularity grew:
5,920 people used the various facilities in 1927.
By 1929 that figure had grown to 11,880.
By 1932 that number had grown again to 58,623.
By 1933 the park already had an 18-hole miniature golf course, 8 grey shale tennis courts, two bowling greens, a miniature golf course, a model yacht lake, a café, a large rock garden and a children’s playground. The council was also considering the addition of a boating lake, a bandstand with surrounding terraces and a sports stadium.
In September 1934 Colwyn Bay received its Charter of Incorporation as a Borough. Among the celebrations at Eirias Park was the planting of a tree by the Charter Mayor, Lord Colwyn. Over the years, further oak trees have been planted in the park to mark other celebrations.
During World War II land between the entrance and Eirias Road was dug up to be used as allotments for growing food.
During each summer season from the late 1950s into the early 1960s, the old bandstand was used as an Aquarium and Mini-Zoo (sometimes called a Children’s Zoo) run by Robert Jackson, the founder of the Welsh Mountain Zoo. After the Welsh Mountain Zoo opened in 1963 the Eirias Park attraction remained open for a few years but eventually closed. The old bandstand could be considered the birthplace of the Welsh Mountain Zoo.
Over the years Eirias Park has been the venue for many events – local celebrations of national events like coronations and investitures, marionette shows, carnivals, circuses, Radio One Roadshow visits, bowls tournaments and the venue for local bonfire night firework displays.
Since 2012 the arena area has also been transformed into a music venue for Access All Eirias events featuring popular national artists…Olly Murs, Pixie Lott, Rhydian Roberts, The Overtones and in 2014 Sir Tom Jones and Jessie J.
Eirias Park has also been announced as the ceremonial start for Wales Rally GB, the final round of the FIA World Rally Championship, in November, 2014.
HUBBARD, Edward: Clwyd: The Buildings of Wales: Penguin: 1986: 0140710523
THOMAS, Dilys: Memories of Old Colwyn
This trail is part of the Age Friendly Communities Project which is part funded by the European Regional Development fund through the Ireland and Wales Interregional Programme 2007 – 2013.