Rydal School for boys was founded in 1885 by the leading Methodist educationalist T.G.Osborn. In 1995 it merged with the nearby girl’s school, Penrhos College. The school has had a longstanding important presence in the town, and many of the former large villas in the area are now its student boarding houses. The Costain Building was added to the growing school complex in 1927-30, with the Memorial Hall following in 1955-7.
Both buildings, now Grade II listed, were designed by the notable local architect, Sidney Colwyn Foulkes.