The first Wesleyan Chapel to be built in the area was at Bron y nant in 1809, nine years after the denomination started its mission in Wales. A chapel was started at Pen-y-bryn in Old Colwyn in 1832.
By the early 1870s the construction of some houses in Station Road had commenced, along with the Colwyn Bay Hotel – now demolished. With all the building work going on, labourers and construction workers came into the area to work and live, many of them staying during the weekdays and they wanted a place to worship when away from home.
In 1871, the Wesleyan Ministers, the Rev. John Cadfan Davies of Old Colwyn and the Rev. Thomas Morris believed that there was a need to set up a Church and, with the support of Bron y Nant Wesleyan Chapel and the Old Colwyn Chapel, they began holding worshipping services in the town. Some of the services were conducted in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Roberts of Sea View Villa but, because some of the construction workers moved away, these eventually ceased. However before long, the cause was again established and in 1873 they had a convenient room for worship in the home of Mr Robert Roberts, who had a house and shop in Station Road. Subsequently they conducting services in the town in a works shed.
In 1875, Church members felt that there was a need for a more suitable place of worship and the decision was made to secure a plot of land for building a small chapel. To this end land was acquired in Greenfield Road at a cost of £122, and there they built a small chapel, which opened in 1876. However by the mid 1880s the congregation had grown, along with the population of the town, and it was decided to rebuild and enlarge the chapel. Whilst this work was ongoing, the members worshipped temporarily with the Welsh Independent (Annibynwyr) Chapel. The new chapel, Shiloh, was opened in June 1888. Congregations continue to increase and a move to Horeb in Rhiw Road ensued in 1898.
The building was then sold to the English Wesleyans in 1899 for £850 despite the asking price being £900. It was then used by them pending the building of Nant y Glyn Church. At the time of the Wesleyan move to the Nant y Glyn church the congregation was about 170.
It was subsequently sold and was initially used as an egg packing centre. It is currently in use as a ceramic tile shop.
This former chapel on the west side of Greenfield Road, close to its junction with Abergele Road, is built of limestone with a slate roof and red ridge tiles. The principal elevation faces east to Greenfield Road with fine ashlar limestone masonry to the gable and above the first floor windows. Very limited use has been made of sandstone – this is restricted to, for example, the window openings.
The porch we see today is of more recent construction. Three windows are located above the porch – the centre one has a flat top, the flanking windows have circular tops. One of the most interesting features is the unusual semi circular carving above the windows in the form of a shell.
Norman Jones – United Reform Church and Baptists, Colwyn Bay 1887- 1987
Norman Tucker – Colwyn Bay, its origin and growth.