The Manchester Jewish Museum has information collections relating to the Jewish community in Colwyn Bay. These include a plaque and oil painting relating to Mark Bloom.
According to records Mr. Bloom was a horse dealer who provided horses for the army during the First World War. During the Second World War his children were evacuated to Colwyn Bay during the Second World War. His sister also moved to the town. He bought a cinema property on Princes Drive, together with a house opposite, No. 37, which he converted into a synagogue. It was known as Zion House and opened on June 27th 1948.
After Mark died the property was left in the care of his son, Geoffrey (21st June 1926 – August 6th 1954). Geoffrey travelled to the synagogue once a year to pay the bills for maintenance etc. When he died at the early age of 26, the building passed in his will to relatives and to 9 religious organizations listed in the will.
From the 1950-1970s the flat attached to the synagogue was used as a holiday home for religious families. However during this period the congregation dwindled so the cause amalgamated with Llandudno congregation. Zion house was sold to the adjacent hotel in 1977.
It is believed that before Zion house the small Jewish community met in an outhouse and then a Church hall.
Source: Manchester Jewish Museum