In 1898 English Congregationalists began meeting in Ebenezer chapel schoolroom, and in 1925 built this church. The wood from several cleared oak trees on the site was given to the
poor for firewood. There was a croquet lawn in the grounds until the new schoolroom
premises were built in 1936. In the 1930s the Sunday School produced a Christmas
pantomime for the church and villagers. The church became known as the United Reformed Church in 1972.
The church is built of squared local limestone with contrasting red sandstone dressings and a
red tiled roof. The spire at the western end is of particular interest with its tall narrow finial, tile
cladding at its base and louvred vents.
The symmetrical front gable has a prominent and pleasing red sandstone porch with a pair of
boarded doors and narrow side windows. Above the porch is an arched gable. The side
elevation comprises four bays, each with three light windows, the bays divided by buttresses.
The subtle joinery details on the barge boards are noteworthy. During the 1930s the church was enlarged and complemented with an extension designed by the eminent local architect, Sidney Colwyn Foulkes. This addition comprises a room with a large mullioned and transomed bow
window with a semicircular roof. A limestone boundary wall, with large flat coping stones, runs
along the road frontage. Stone pillars, with sandstone copings and a pair of ornamental iron gates lead to the porch.