Y Giatiau Addurniadol

The beautiful ornamental gates at the Abergele Road entrance to Eirias Park were a gift to the town from the profits of the very successful Royal National Eisteddfod of 1947 which took place in the park.

The gates, weighing two tons and made of wrought iron, cost nearly £500 and were made by D. J. Williams of Caernarfon. Above the central red dragon design, the new gates had plaques bearing the borough coat of arms, as there were on the original gates. An information plaque was also included.

10 Ornamental Gates

The gates were received for the town by the Mayor, Alderman Gordon Kerry in August, 1951.

During World War II the park’s original gates had been removed as part of the scrap metal drive which also saw the removal of the railings around St. Paul’s Church.

Having been at risk of being removed for a time, the gates were moved to their present fixed location when the entrance to the park was widened.

LOGOS for Eirias ParkTrail_edited-3

Rhannwch y dudalen hon
Colwyn Bay Heritage Group