The Welsh Methodists built a Chapel on the site in Conway Road in 1873 at a cost of £700. The first Minister was the Rev. E. W. Evans, M.A., from Tarvin and his congregation was only a small one. … [Read more...]
Churches and Chapels
Ar ôl gwerthu Stâd Pwllycrochan ym 1865 a sefydlu Cwmni Bae Colwyn a Stâd Pwllycrochan ym 1875 gwerthwyd tir ar gyfer codi adeiladau a thyfodd y dref yn aruthrol. Roedd nifer y boblogaeth wedi cyrraedd 4,754 erbyn 1891, ac oddeutu 12,000 yn 1907 gyda thua 15,000 o ymwelwyr.
Yn ogystal ag adeiladu tai'n gyflym roedd angen adeiladu cyfleusterau cymunedol ar gyfer y nifer cynyddol o drigolion ac ymwelwyr. Roedd eglwysi a chapeli wrth galon bob cymuned yn ystod y cyfnod hwnnw a sefydlwyd nifer o gynulleidfaoedd crefyddol yn y dref. O'r herwydd, adeiladwyd nifer sylweddol o eglwys a chapeli.
Mae’r Grŵp Treftadaeth, gyda chymorth Cytûn ac aelodau o’r cynulleidfaoedd yn y dref, wedi paratoi llwybr treftadaeth a llyfryn yn seiliedig ar hanes y nifer eglwysi a chapeli yma.
St John’s has been rightly described as an architectural ornament to the town and in some ways could be regarded as the cathedral of English Methodism on the North Wales coast. In addition, the … [Read more...]
During the early years of the 20th century, it became evident that the Mission Church, situated in Coed Pella Road, was not sufficiently large to meet the growing needs of the west end of the parish, … [Read more...]
The Church was formally known as the Colwyn Bay English Baptist Church and was founded in 1884. At first the congregation shared the premises of the Welsh Baptist Chapel in Old Colwyn, holding … [Read more...]
There are no records of the first Quaker meetings in Colwyn Bay although it is safe to assume that they began in peoples’ homes in the 1890s. This was about the time of the development of Colwyn Bay … [Read more...]
Following the sale of the Pwllycrochan Estate in 1865 and the establishment of the Colwyn Bay and Pwllycrochan Estate Company in 1875, land was sold as building plots and the town grew rapidly, with … [Read more...]
In 1899 a notice went out from Canon Hugh Roberts, the Vicar of Colwyn Bay, entitled ‘Final and Urgent Appeal Towards a Welsh Church’. “May we respectfully bring our case and an exceptional one, … [Read more...]
The original chapel on this site was called Hermon. Built in 1903 (and dedicated in 1904), it was demolished in 2007 to be replaced by the modern building that you can now see. It is now named Capel … [Read more...]
The chapel opened in 1879 by the Welsh Presbyterians, who had previously worshiped alongside the English Presbyterians in a building on Conway Road, now occupied by Matthews Hardware … [Read more...]
The birth of Congregationalism in Colwyn Bay resulted from a joint effort of Welsh and English pioneers. In 1878 an iron building was built in Abergele Road at its junction with Sea View Road, … [Read more...]
The first Wesleyan Chapel to be built in the area was at Bron y nant in 1809, nine years after the denomination started its mission in Wales. A chapel was started at Pen-y-bryn in Old Colwyn in … [Read more...]
This Methodist chapel began life in 1897 as a branch of Engedi, but later in the same year it was established as a separate chapel. It became clear very quickly that the chapel was too small, and the … [Read more...]
Today's Pioneer newspaper contain an article by Iwan Berry reporting that worship will end at St. John's Uniting Church on May 24th 2013. The church opened in 1888 on the corner of Conway Road and … [Read more...]
The church was built in 1891 at a cost of £3,700 in the red brick, terracotta and tile which may be seen in a number of other local churches and chapels. … [Read more...]
The first church on this site was a mission chapel, built in 1872. In 1880 this was replaced by an iron church which burnt down in 1886. The present limestone church was built in stages, the nave, … [Read more...]