The Denbighshire Art Society was formed in 1940 in Colwyn Bay, then in Denbighshire, but closed 2 years later when its premises were requisitioned by the Ministry of Food. In 1947, a number of temporary premises were found in Colwyn Bay including a derelict farm building, and a ‘sanatorium’ guide hut and store at Penrhos College.
Eventually the Denbighshire Art Society moved into its permanent home at 10, Penrhos Road, Colwyn Bay. In 1995, a new studio extension was opened by the Minister of State for Wales so that the society could run its own art classes, lectures and demonstrations by guest artists, as well as its own annual summer art show. The society is one of the oldest in Wales and is one of very few to own its ‘studio’ premises.
The membership consists of practicing artists and art teachers, retired and honorary members, and a member of the Royal Cambrian Academy. The society operates a full yearly programme of events in the studio and opens during the week for classes in painting landscape, life drawing, portrait, still life and abstract art. The society has a rolling programme of exhibitions and organises the North Wales ArtFest in Llandudno every summer.
Reproduced by kind permission.
Find out more about the Denbighshire Art Society here.