The first church on this site was a mission chapel, built in 1872. In 1880 this was replaced by an iron church which burnt down in 1886. The present limestone church was built in stages, the nave, aisles and trancepts in 1887-8, the chancel in 1894 and finally the tower, which was completed in 1911.
The architects were Douglas and Fordham of Chester who were also responsible for designing several other buildings in the town. Colwyn Bay became a separate parish in 1893, having previously been part of the parish of Llandrillo yn Rhos.