The origins of the Eirias Park we recognise today begin in 1921 with the purchase of the first 27 acres of land. By 1933 among Eirias Park’s attractions were eight grey shale tennis courts.
In June 1986 futuristic-looking white dome-covered tennis courts opened at a cost £70,000 which was mainly funded by the Sports Council.
Calls for an indoor tennis centre grew after high winds damaged the dome beyond repair in February 1997. Traffic on the nearby A55 Expressway was halted when the tennis dome looked in danger of being torn from its base.
The James Alexander Barr Tennis Centre was officially opened in October 2003 by Welsh Assembly member Alun Pugh.
Recognised as a “state of the art” facility and a centre of excellence, the Tennis Centre received the Tennis Club Mark in November 2010 having been recognised by the Lawn Tennis Association for best practice.
The centre has two full size indoor tennis courts, recognised as tournament standard courts, lit by internal floodlights and sunlight. There are also four outdoor floodlit courts.
Up-to-date information for the Tennis Centre is available here.
This trail is part of the Age Friendly Communities Project which is part funded by the European Regional Development fund through the Ireland and Wales Interregional Programme 2007 – 2013.