The Victoria Pier and Pavilion were opened in 1900 and could accommodate 2,500 people. The pier was initially 12 metres wide and 96 metres long, but was later extended to 320 metres.
The first musical director was Monsieur Jules Riviere, a musician who had conducted orchestral concerts all over the UK and who worked with the Llandudno Pier Company before his appointment at Colwyn Bay. He booked the “Queen of Song”, Madame Patti, for the Pavilion’s first concert. The 81 year old Monsieur Riviere died suddenly on December 26th 1900 and is buried in Llandrillo yn Rhos churchyard, where he is also commemorated in a window of the church. Rivieres Avenue in Colwyn Bay was also named after him.
In 1922 the Pavilion burnt down although the fire brigade was able to save the pier apart from the area around the Pavilion. The Urban District Council then purchased the pier and a new pavilion, seating 1,350, was opened in 1923. The second pavilion suffered the same fate as the first, burning down in May 1933, although, once again the pier structure was saved. This was also the fate of the Bijou pavilion, which stood at the pier head, when in July 1933 it too burnt down.
The third and final pavilion was opened in 1934 and accommodated 700-750 people. In view of the fate of the first two pavilions this one was built of fire resistant materials. The pier and its pavilion were popular attractions until the 1980s when its condition deteriorated despite the efforts of several different owners. Following protracted legal proceedings the pier returned to the ownership of the Council and in 2018 permission was granted to demolish the structure with a view to rebuilding a smaller stub.