Coeden Goffa 1934

charter celebrations

The growth and success of Colwyn Bay led to its being granted Borough status by Royal Charter in 1934. The Charter Celebrations took place in Eirias Park on September 20th and included the planting of this oak tree by the Charter Mayor, Lord Colwyn.

The College of Arms designed and granted a coat of arms, incorporating the oak tree which dominated the seal of the old Council.

commemorative plaque

Up until the mid-1880’s, Colwyn Bay was a rural community consisting of Welsh speaking villages with a population of 1500. It was then that business men from Manchester began investing in the area as a potential seaside resort. The sale of the Pwllycrochran estate by Sir John Pender to the Manchester syndicate, known as the Colwyn Bay and Pwllycrochran Estate Company, saw the beginning of a development boom. With no town planning laws and no building restrictions Colwyn Bay was soon a busy town with houses, apartment buildings and palatial houses.

LOGOS for Eirias ParkTrail_edited-3

Rhannwch y dudalen hon
Colwyn Bay Heritage Group