Neuadd Glan-y-Don

Dim ond yn Saesneg mae’r dudalen hon ar gael ar hyn o bryd.

colwyn civic centre

Officially opened as Colwyn Civic Centre on May 14th, 1964, by Colonel J.C. Wynne Finch, former Lord Lieutenant of the County of Denbigh, Glan y Don Hall replaced the Town Hall which stood on the corner of Coed Pella Road and Conway Road. The Town Hall was demolished soon after the opening.

This Georgian style building along with its 32 acres of gardens, was bought by the council from Cheadle Royal Hospital in November 1960. Rented by the Royal Hospital in 1878, the mansion and estate were bought by the hospital in 1907 and the building extended and opened as a mental home in 1911. It was affectionately referred to as Cheadle Royal Hospital’s “Seaside Branch”, providing accommodation for both men and women and convalescence for patients from the Royal Hospital.

The building contains 88 rooms on 3 floors with three wings to each floor.  Apart from each wing having its own staircase there is the imposing central staircase, a feature of which is the decorative wrought ironwork.

The Civic Suite, which had its own entrance contained the Mayor’s Parlour, the Mayoress’s Parlour the Councillors Common Room and two Committee Rooms.

The drive is lined with flowering cherry trees and the grounds are linked to Eirias Park. To commemorate the Investiture of HRH the Prince of Wales Investiture Gardens were added in July 1969.

Colwyn Council sold some of the Glan-y-Don land to North Wales Police and it became the site for the new Police Headquarters in the early 1970s. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, visited in July 1971 to check on the progress of the building and inspected a guard of honour of 22 constables, a sergeant and an inspector – all called Jones.

To the rear of Glan-y-Don Hall is the former model boat pond which replaced the original pond in Eirias Park which was demolished when the Expressway was built.

LOGOS for Eirias ParkTrail_edited-3

Rhannwch y dudalen hon
Colwyn Bay Heritage Group