1808
Crash of dance floor at Four Crosses
1808 Crash of dance floor at Four Crosses
1811
Main roads along coast
Thomas Telford is consulted on main roads and highways along coast
1814
The Bible Society
Llandrillo and Abergele Branch of the Bible Society formed
1815
Colwyn Bridge constructed
Colwyn Bridge constructed
1815
Ebenezer Chapel erected
Ebenezer Chapel erected.
1819
National School built
National School Built on Tan y Bryn Road, Rhos on Sea.
1819
Improvements to the Holyhead Road
Thomas Telford completes his improvements to the Holyhead Road
1821
Sir David Erskine marries Jane Silence Williams
Sir David Erskine marries Jane Silence Williams, heiress of Pwllycrochan.
1827
Chester and Bangor Stage Coach
Chester and Bangor Stage Coach first going through. Mail coach leaves Holyhead 5 p.m. spending the night at Bangor, and arriving at the Feathers Inn, Chester at 4 p.m. (Travelling at 8 miles an hour). “Hark-Forward” coach running from Bangor to Chester.
1828
Glan y Mor road made
Glan y Mor (Beach) road made
1830
Afon Ganol marsh drained
Around this date the Afon Ganol marsh was drained
1830
Turnpike Road diverted
Turnpike Road diverted over Penmaenhead
1832
Bethesda (old) Chapel built
Bethesda (old) Chapel built
1837
Conway Poor Law Union formed
Conway Poor Law Union (including Llandrillo) formed
1837
Foundation stone of St. Catherine’s Church laid
Richard Butler Clough of Min y don lays the foundation stone of St. Catherine’s Church.
1841
Whitehall Dod succeeds to Llannerch estate
Whitehall Dod succeeds to Llannerch estate
1844
Parish of Colwyn created
Parish of Colwyn created, mostly out of Llandrillo parish
1846
Tithe Enquiry Map
Tithe Enquiry Map prepared
1847
Methodist Sunday School
Methodist Sunday School in Rhos-on-Sea at a small thatched cottage called “Aberhod Bach”
1848
National School, Old Colwyn
National School built
1848
Chester-Bangor Railway opens
Chester to Bangor railway opened for passengers. Construction had begun in 1845.
1848
Ship fire disaster
178 lives lost in ship fire disaster, Abergele Bay
1849
First appearance of Colwyn Station
First appearance of Colwyn Station in the October number of Bradshaw.
1850
Record catch of herrings
A record catch of 35,000 herrings at Rhos Weir.
1856
Rhos-Bryn Euryn Railway
Rhos-Bryn Euryn Railway recorded as working
1858
First sale of building land
First sale of building land
1861
Hebron Chapel erected
Hebron (old) Chapel erected.
1862
Calfaria Chapel erected
Calfaria (old) Chapel erected.
1864
Building of Rhos Abbey Hotel terrace
Building of Rhos Abbey Hotel terrace adjacent to Rhos Fynach planned by Mr. George Fenton.
1865
Pwllycrochan Estate sold
Sale of the Pwllycrochan estate by Sir Thomas Erskine
1865
Ivy House built
Ivy House was Colwyn Bay’s first house and shop
1866
Pwllycrochan opened as a hotel
Pwllycrochan opened as a hotel.
1866
Title to Rhos Weir established
Legality of Mr. Parry Evans’ title to Rhos Weir established at Conway.
1867
British School built, Old Colwyn
In response to Nonconformist children refusing to attend the local church school
1868
Irish Mail railway accident
33 people killed in Irish Mail railway accident at Abergele
1869
Rev. W. Venables Williams appointed
Rev. W. Venables Williams appointed to the living of Llandrillo.
1870
Station Hotel built
Station Hotel (later Central Hotel) built.
1870
Erskine House and Penrhos Lodge built
Pioneer villas Erskine House and Penrhos Lodge (later Odeon Cinema and Rhos Lan) built
1871
Presbyterian Services
First Presbyterian services held in a carpenter’s workshop in Ivy Street.
1871
Agitators throw the Toll Gates into the sea
Band of agitators throw the Toll Gates and posts into the sea near Colwyn Bay Hotel (in process of building)
1872
Sir Thomas Pender
Great reception of Sir Thomas Pender at Colwyn Bay
1872
Mission room (chapel) built
Mission room (chapel) built (precursor of St. Paul’s Church).
1872
Colwyn Bay Hotel
Colwyn Bay Hotel completed
1872
Building of the Promenade
The promenade we recognise today was built in sections over many years, beginning around 1872 when the Colwyn Bay Hotel was also being built.
1873
Presbyterian Chapel
Presbyterian chapel opened on Conwy Road on land donated by John Pender of Pwllycrochan Estate.
1873/74
Original Ship Inn demolished
Original Ship Inn demolished and rebuilt across the road from its original position near the Church, by Whitehall Dod
1876
School Board formed
Llandrillo and Eirias (UD) School Board formed
1876
Shiloh Chapel Greenfield Road
Shiloh Chapel, Greenfield Road, built by the Welsh Wesleyan Methodists.
1878
Congregationalists’ iron Church
Congregationalists’ iron church built (Union Church site).
1879
Engedi Chapel
Engedi chapel opened on Woodland Road West by the Welsh Presbyterians.
1879
Colwyn Cemetery
Colwyn Cemetery – first burial
1880
Penrhos College for Girls
Penrhos College for Girls established (private Methodist school for girls).
1880
First English Methodist Service
First English Methodist service in Colwyn Bay held in Shiloh Welsh Chapel, Greenfield Road.
1884
Colwyn Bay English Baptist Church
Colwyn Bay English Baptist Church congregation formed
1884
Old Colwyn railway station
Old Colwyn railway station opened in 1884.
1885
Salem Chapel
Salem Chapel opened on Abergele Road.
1885
Theatr Colwyn
Work began on the theatre (Theatr Colwyn) by the newly formed Public Hall Company.
1885
Union Church
Congregational Church (Union Church) opened.
1886
Bethesda Chapel
Bethesda Church, Old Colwyn built.
1887
St. Paul’s Church
Building of St. Paul’s Church begins – the nave, aisles and transepts.
1887
Colwyn and Colwyn Bay Local Board
April 13th Colwyn and Colwyn Bay Local Board formed – a Local Board of 12 members – constituted, by Order of Local Government Board, No. 21442, dated April 13th.
1887
Station Road laid out
Station Road laid out. Designed by Booth, Chadwick and Porter, principal architects to the Pwllycrochan Estate Company. Row of nine shops in red brick built by Edward Foulkes, father of the architect, Sidney Colwyn Foulkes.
1888
St John’s Methodist Church
St. John’s Methodist Church opens.
1888
Tabernacl Chapel
Tabernacl Chapel built for Welsh and English Baptist congregations.
1891
Joint Water Supply Board
Conway and Colwyn Bay Joint Water Supply Board formed
1891
English Presbyterian Church
English Presbyterian Church, Hawarden Road, opens
1892
Municipal Building
Municipal Building, Station Road, completed.
1892
Subway and approaches to the beach
August 17th – Subway and approaches to the beach completed and formally opened by Rev. W. Venables-Williams (Vicar)
1893
Parish of Colwyn Bay
Colwyn Bay became a separate parish, previously part of the parish Llandrillo-yn-Rhos
1893
English Baptist Church
English Baptist Church moved to a corrugated building on Abergele Road, where Stermat now stands.
1894
Groes Bridge
Groes Bridge rebuilt and widened
1895
Urban District of Colwyn Bay and Colwyn
January – Under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894, the Local Government District became the Urban District of Colwyn Bay and Colwyn
1895
Rhos Pier
April – Rhos Pier opened
1896
Calfaria Chapel
Calfaria Chapel built
1897
Bethlehem Methodist Chapel
Bethlehem Methodist Chapel, Lawson Road built as a branch of Engedi.
1897
Promenade on seafront
June 22nd – Promenade on seafront – Colwyn Bay to Marine Path – formally opened.
1898
Start of Electricity Supply to Colwyn Bay
Council erects 24 lamps to illuminate the East Promenade, powered by a generating plant built in Ivy Street
1899
Victoria Jubilee Cottage Hospital
Victoria Jubilee Cottage Hospital built.
1899
Rhos on Sea Golf Club
Rhos on Sea Golf Club founded
