Timeline 1800s

1800s

1808

Crash of dance floor at Four Crosses

1808 Crash of dance floor at Four Crosses

1811

Main roads along coast

Thomas Telford is consulted on main roads and highways along coast

1814

The Bible Society

Llandrillo and Abergele Branch of the Bible Society formed

1815

Colwyn Bridge constructed

Colwyn Bridge constructed

1815

Ebenezer Chapel erected

Ebenezer Chapel erected.

1819

National School built

National School Built on Tan y Bryn Road, Rhos on Sea.

1819

Improvements to the Holyhead Road

Thomas Telford completes his improvements to the Holyhead Road

1820s

1821

Sir David Erskine marries Jane Silence Williams

Sir David Erskine marries Jane Silence Williams, heiress of Pwllycrochan.

1827

Chester and Bangor Stage Coach

Chester and Bangor Stage Coach first going through. Mail coach leaves Holyhead 5 p.m. spending the night at Bangor, and arriving at the Feathers Inn, Chester at 4 p.m. (Travelling at 8 miles an hour). “Hark-Forward” coach running from Bangor to Chester.

1828

Glan y Mor road made

Glan y Mor (Beach) road made

1830s

1830

Afon Ganol marsh drained

Around this date the Afon Ganol marsh was drained

1830

Turnpike Road diverted

Turnpike Road diverted over Penmaenhead

1832

Bethesda (old) Chapel built

Bethesda (old) Chapel built

1837

Conway Poor Law Union formed

Conway Poor Law Union (including Llandrillo) formed

1837

Foundation stone of St. Catherine’s Church laid

Richard Butler Clough of Min y don lays the foundation stone of St. Catherine’s Church.

1840s

1841

Whitehall Dod succeeds to Llannerch estate

Whitehall Dod succeeds to Llannerch estate

1844

Parish of Colwyn created

Parish of Colwyn created, mostly out of Llandrillo parish

1846

Tithe Enquiry Map

Tithe Enquiry Map prepared

1847

Methodist Sunday School

Methodist Sunday School in Rhos-on-Sea at a small thatched cottage called “Aberhod Bach”

1848

National School, Old Colwyn

National School built

1848

Chester-Bangor Railway opens

Chester to Bangor railway opened for passengers. Construction had begun in 1845.

1848

Ship fire disaster

178 lives lost in ship fire disaster, Abergele Bay

1849

First appearance of Colwyn Station

First appearance of Colwyn Station in the October number of Bradshaw.

1850s

1850

Record catch of herrings

A record catch of 35,000 herrings at Rhos Weir.

1856

Rhos-Bryn Euryn Railway

Rhos-Bryn Euryn Railway recorded as working

1858

First sale of building land

First sale of building land

1860s

1861

Hebron Chapel erected

Hebron (old) Chapel erected.

1862

Calfaria Chapel erected

Calfaria (old) Chapel erected.

1864

Building of Rhos Abbey Hotel terrace

Building of Rhos Abbey Hotel terrace adjacent to Rhos Fynach planned by Mr. George Fenton.

1865

Pwllycrochan Estate sold

Sale of the Pwllycrochan estate by Sir Thomas Erskine

1865

Ivy House built

Ivy House was Colwyn Bay’s first house and shop

1866

Pwllycrochan opened as a hotel

Pwllycrochan opened as a hotel.

1866

Title to Rhos Weir established

Legality of Mr. Parry Evans’ title to Rhos Weir established at Conway.

1867

British School built, Old Colwyn

In response to Nonconformist children refusing to attend the local church school

1868

Irish Mail railway accident

33 people killed in Irish Mail railway accident at Abergele

1869

Rev. W. Venables Williams appointed

Rev. W. Venables Williams appointed to the living of Llandrillo.  

1870s

1870

Station Hotel built

Station Hotel (later Central Hotel) built.

1870

Erskine House and Penrhos Lodge built

Pioneer villas Erskine House and Penrhos Lodge (later Odeon Cinema and Rhos Lan) built

1871

Presbyterian Services

First Presbyterian services held in a carpenter’s workshop in Ivy Street.

1871

Agitators throw the Toll Gates into the sea

Band of agitators throw the Toll Gates and posts into the sea near Colwyn Bay Hotel (in process of building)

1872

Sir Thomas Pender

Great reception of Sir Thomas Pender at Colwyn Bay

1872

Mission room (chapel) built

Mission room (chapel) built (precursor of St. Paul’s Church).

1872

Colwyn Bay Hotel

Colwyn Bay Hotel completed

1872

Building of the Promenade

The promenade we recognise today was built in sections over many years, beginning around 1872 when the Colwyn Bay Hotel was also being built.

1873

Presbyterian Chapel

Presbyterian chapel opened on Conwy Road on land donated by John Pender of Pwllycrochan Estate.

1873/74

Original Ship Inn demolished

Original Ship Inn demolished and rebuilt across the road from its original position near the Church, by Whitehall Dod

1876

School Board formed

Llandrillo and Eirias (UD) School Board formed

1876

Shiloh Chapel Greenfield Road

Shiloh Chapel, Greenfield Road, built by the Welsh Wesleyan Methodists.

1878

Congregationalists’ iron Church

Congregationalists’ iron church built (Union Church site).

1879

Engedi Chapel

Engedi chapel opened on Woodland Road West by the Welsh Presbyterians.

1879

Colwyn Cemetery

Colwyn Cemetery – first burial

1880

Penrhos College for Girls

Penrhos College for Girls established (private Methodist school for girls).

1880

First English Methodist Service

First English Methodist service in Colwyn Bay held in Shiloh Welsh Chapel, Greenfield Road.

1884

Colwyn Bay English Baptist Church

Colwyn Bay English Baptist Church congregation formed

1884

Old Colwyn railway station

Old Colwyn railway station opened  in 1884.

1885

Salem Chapel

Salem Chapel opened on Abergele Road. 

1885

Theatr Colwyn

Work began on the theatre (Theatr Colwyn) by the newly formed Public Hall Company.

1885

Union Church

Congregational Church (Union Church) opened.

1886

Bethesda Chapel

Bethesda Church, Old Colwyn built.

1887

St. Paul’s Church

Building of St. Paul’s Church begins – the nave, aisles and transepts.

1887

Colwyn and Colwyn Bay Local Board

April 13th Colwyn and Colwyn Bay Local Board formed – a Local Board of 12 members – constituted, by Order of Local Government Board, No. 21442, dated April 13th.

1887

Station Road laid out

Station Road laid out. Designed by Booth, Chadwick and Porter, principal architects to the Pwllycrochan Estate Company. Row of nine shops in red brick built by Edward Foulkes, father of the architect, Sidney Colwyn Foulkes.

1888

St John’s Methodist Church

St. John’s Methodist Church opens.

1888

Tabernacl Chapel

Tabernacl Chapel built for Welsh and English Baptist congregations.

1890s

1891

Joint Water Supply Board

Conway and Colwyn Bay Joint Water Supply Board formed

1891

English Presbyterian Church

English Presbyterian Church, Hawarden Road, opens

1892

Municipal Building

Municipal Building, Station Road, completed.

1892

Subway and approaches to the beach

August 17th – Subway and approaches to the beach completed and formally opened by Rev. W. Venables-Williams (Vicar)

1893

Parish of Colwyn Bay

Colwyn Bay became a separate parish, previously part of the parish Llandrillo-yn-Rhos

1893

English Baptist Church

English Baptist Church moved to a corrugated building on Abergele Road, where Stermat now stands.

1894

Groes Bridge

Groes Bridge rebuilt and widened

1895

Urban District of Colwyn Bay and Colwyn

January – Under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894, the Local Government District became the Urban District of Colwyn Bay and Colwyn

1895

Rhos Pier

April – Rhos Pier opened

1896

Calfaria Chapel

Calfaria Chapel built

1897

Bethlehem Methodist Chapel

Bethlehem Methodist Chapel, Lawson Road built as a branch of Engedi.

1897

Promenade on seafront

June 22nd – Promenade on seafront – Colwyn Bay to Marine Path – formally opened.

1898

Start of Electricity Supply to Colwyn Bay

Council erects 24 lamps to illuminate the East Promenade, powered by a generating plant built in Ivy Street

1899

Victoria Jubilee Cottage Hospital

Victoria Jubilee Cottage Hospital built.

1899

Rhos on Sea Golf Club

Rhos on Sea Golf Club founded

Colwyn Bay Heritage Group