
Grounds for Hope: Colwyn Bay Football Club Town and People 1881 to 2025
Extensively researched and published by Arthur Holden with additional material by Aled Williams. Colwyn Bay Football Club is one of…
“The park by the sea”, as Eirias Park was once described, covers 52 acres. The first 27 acres were bought by the council on April 12th, 1921 and the remainder in 1929.

Extensively researched and published by Arthur Holden with additional material by Aled Williams. Colwyn Bay Football Club is one of…

Summary: Eirias Park opened in 1923 and rapidly developed facilities for many sports and recreational activities over a 50-acre site.…

“The park by the sea” covers 50 acres. The first 27 acres were bought on April 12th, 1921 and the remainder in 1929.

The promenade we recognise today was built in sections over many years, beginning around 1872 when the Colwyn Bay Hotel was also being built.

In 1920 the college was relocated to Upper Colwyn Bay and then to its more familiar home on East Parade during the summer of 1923.

The Charter Celebrations took place in Eirias Park on September 20th and included the planting of this oak tree by the Charter Mayor.

The origins of the Eirias Park we recognise today began in 1921. By 1933 among the park's attractions were eight grey shale tennis courts.

The George Davies Bowls Trophy has been won every year since 1931 and has had many local winners.

The official opening of Colwyn Leisure Centre took place on May 12th, 1981 when Princess Margaret attended, arriving by helicopter,…

The building of the first school on the Eirias site began in 1903 for the Higher Grade School. In 1919…

Dan’s Den Cafe, near the skate park, was officially opened on October 23rd, 2012 by Rupert Moon, former Welsh international…

The ornamental gates at the entrance to Eirias Park were a gift to the town from the profits of the Royal National Eisteddfod of 1947.

For the Festival of Britain in 1951, the Council developed land used as allotments during World War II into the sports arena and running track.

Bearing the date 1893 over the front door, Llety’r Dryw Hall was built by John Eden, having been designed by architects Douglas and Fordham.

Officially opened as Colwyn Civic Centre on May 14th, 1964, Glan-y-Don Hall replaced the old Town Hall.