Llinell Amser 1900s

1900s

1900

Electricity supply

January 1st – Electricity supply by the Council to private consumers begins and proves so successful that the generating plant in Ivy Street has to be rapidly expanded

1900

St. Joseph’s Church

St. Joseph’s Church opened.

1900

Monsieur Jules Riviere

December 26th – Monsieur Jules Riviere died and was buried in Llandrillo-yn-Rhos churchyard. 

1901

Urban District Council

Urban District Council’s offices in the Municipal Building, Station Road.

1901

Electricity Works

January 1st – Electricity Works started for General Supply

1902

Woodhill Baptist Church

Woodhill Baptist Church built by Welsh Calvanistic Methodists as an outreach of Engedi Chapel.

1902

Promenade and Sewage Works

The Colwyn Bay and Colwyn Urban District Act authorised the construction of a Promenade and new Sewage Works.

1902

Gas undertaking

January 1st – Gas undertaking acquired

1902

Horeb Chapel

November 2nd – Horeb Chapel, Rhiw Road, opened.

1903

Methodist chapel Hermon

Methodist chapel Hermon built (now site of Capel y Rhos).

1903

Eglwys Dewi Sant

Eglwys Dewi Sant (St. David’s Church) completed.

1903

Higher Grade School

January 12th – Higher Grade School formally opened  

1903

St. John’s Church

St. John’s Church, Old Colwyn consecrated on August 13th.

1904

Town Hall

Town Hall opened (corner of Coed Pella Road and Conwy Road), fire station next door.

1904

Hebron Chapel

Hebron Chapel built.

1904

Bron y Nant Cemetery

Bron y Nant Cemetery completed and opened

1905–1907

Police Station and Town Hall

The Police Station and Town Hall were built in 1905-7 by Walter Wiles

1905

Nant-y-Glyn Methodist Church

Nant-y-Glyn Methodist Church built.

1905

Convent opened

Convent near St. Joseph’s RC Church opened.

1905

Free Library

1905 April 25th. Coronation Free Library opened.

1905

English Baptist Chapel

English Baptist Chapel opened.

1905

Isolation Sanatorium

April 25th – Isolation Sanatorium opened

1905

Promenade ARC lighting

August 18th – Promenade ARC lighting inaugurated. Rhos section – June 21st

1905

Pwllycrochan Woods

October 31st – Pwllycrochan Woods purchased

1906

Fairy Glen

August 1st – Fairy Glen, Old Colwyn, opened to the public

1906

Upper Colwyn Bay Water Supply Works

October 9th – Upper Colwyn Bay Water Supply Works inaugurated

1907

Trams running

Trams running from Llandudno to Colwyn Bay

1907

Opening of Sewerage Works

June 14th – Formal opening of new Sewerage Works

1907

Light Railway opened

October 19th – Light Railway opened for public traffic.

1908

Rhos Neigr sinks

The Rhos Neigr sinks off Rhos on Sea

1908

St. Andrew’s Church

Foundation stone for St. Andrew’s Church laid.

1909

Picture House

The Public Hall (Theatr Colwyn) converted into Colwyn Bay’s first “picture house”.

1909

English Methodist Church

English Methodist Church, Old Colwyn, built.

1909

New water main

March 31st – Water turned on to the District from new trunk main laid between Dolgarrog and Sarnmynach

1910s

1910

County Court at Colwyn Bay

August 2nd – Order of Privy Council for holding of County Court at Colwyn Bay

1910

Royal National Eisteddfod

September 13th-17th – Royal National Eisteddfod held

1911

Glan-y-Don Hall

Glan-y-Don Hall built.

1911

Electric Light Cable

March – Electric Light Cable extended to Old Colwyn

1911

Drill Hall (Princes Drive)

July 15th – Drill Hall (Princes Drive) opened

1912

Cayley Estate

Sale of the Cayley Estate

1912

Harold Lowe 5th officer on the Titanic

April 14th – Local man Harold Lowe was the fifth officer on the Titanic when it sank.

1913

English Baptist Church

English Baptist Church on Hawarden Road opened. Intention was to build a church and a church hall, only the hall was built at that time.

1914

Princess Picture Theatre

Princess Picture Theatre built

1914

Cayley Promenade

January 28th – Cayley Promenade embankment acquired

1914

H. M. Troops in Colwyn Bay

December 30th – H. M. Troops quartered in Colwyn Bay

1915

Visit of Chancellor of the Exchequer

March 2nd – Visit of Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rt. Hon. D. Lloyd George

1915

Light Railway extended

March 26th –Light Railway extended to the Queen’s Hotel, Old Colwyn.

1915

Colwyn Public Gardens

June.– Colwyn Public Gardens acquired by gift from Lieut.-Col. Williams Wynne.

1916

First Methodist services in Rhos-on-Sea

First Methodist services in Rhos-on-Sea held in the Playhouse, then a theatre and cinema (now Co-op Store)

1919

First Lady Member elected on the Council

April 7th – First Lady Member (Miss E M. Hovey) elected on the Council

1920s

1920

David Lloyd George

Prime Minister, David Lloyd George visits Tabernacl Chapel

1920

Presentation of Tank

January 12th – Presentation of First World War Tank. 

1920

Wireless College

Wireless College relocates to Colwyn Bay

1920

Workmen’s Dwellings

November 30th – Erection of Workmen’s Dwellings at Rhos, public ceremony

1921

Acquisition of Eirias Park

April 12th – The local council purchased the first 27 acres of land for the park. 

1921

Llandudno-Colwyn Bay road

May – Llandudno-Colwyn Bay through road opened for traffic

1922

Y.M.C.A. buildings

Y.M.C.A. buildings built

1922

Rhos-on-Sea Methodist Church

August 14th – Foundation stone of Rhos-on-Sea Methodist Church laid

1922

War Memorial unveiled

November 11th – War Memorial unveiled outside the town hall. Memorial tablets and memorial windows unveiled at St. Paul’s Church.

1923

Colwyn Bay Cricket Club

Colwyn Bay Cricket Club founded

1923

Parish of Llysfaen

1923 April 1st – Amalgamation of the Parish of Llysfaen with the Urban District by virtue of the Counties of Caernarvon and Denbigh (Llysfaen) Order 1922; and increase of members of the council from 24 to 28

1923

Royal Visit to North Wales

November 2nd – Royal Visit to North Wales. Visit of H.R.H. The Prince of Wales to Colwyn Bay

1923

New Electricity Supply

November 2nd – Electricity Supply – consent to alteration of system to A.C. (Alternating Current). November 30th Inauguration of New Electricity Supply, and ceremonial opening of new Distribution Station in Ivy Street by Lord Colwyn.

1925

Wynn Gardens

Wynn Gardens declared open.

1925

Royal Bank of Scotland

C.1925 – Royal Bank of Scotland building reconstructed to a design by architect Sidney Colwyn Foulkes for Williams Deacon’s Bank.

1928

Min-y-Don Park

July 18th – Opening of Min-y-Don Park and recreation grounds.

1930s

1933

St. Joseph’s Primary School

St. Joseph’s Primary School opened on land near the Church.

1933–37

Colwyn House

Colwyn House, Station Road, built for W. S. Wood department store.

1934

Charter of Incorporation

Charter of Incorporation granted.

1936

Penmaenhead Viaduct

Viaduct over Penmaenhead opened

1939

Germany invades Poland

September 1st – Germany invades Poland

1939

France and Britain declare war on Germany

September 3rd – France and Britain declare war on Germany

1939

First Air Raid Warning

Town’s first Air Raid Warning

1940s

1940

Battle of Britain

July 10th – Battle of Britain begins

1941

Literary Eisteddfod

Literary Eisteddfod held.

1941

Japanese attack Pearl Harbour

December 7th – Japanese attack Pearl Harbour, Hawaii

1942

Mines sighted off Rhos Pier

Mines sighted off Rhos Pier, Lllanddulas and Llysfaen jetties.

1943

Spitfire crashed

Spitfire “Borough of Colwyn Bay” crashed before having seen active service. Given its name to mark the townspeople’s war effort through National Savings investment

1945

USA drops the first atomic bomb

August 6th – USA drops the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan

1945

USA drops second atomic bomb

August 9th – USA drops a second atomic bomb on Nagasaki, Japan

1947

Colwyn Bay National Eisteddfod

Colwyn Bay host to National Eisteddfod.

1948

Synagogue opened

37 Princes Drive opened as a Synagogue.

1950s

1952

Old Colwyn railway station

December 1st – Old Colwyn railway station closed

1955

Cosy Cinema closed

Cosy Cinema (above what was Matthews Hardware) closed

1956

Last tram

March 24th – Last tram travelled from Llandudno to Colwyn Bay.

1958

Harlequin Puppet Theatre

Harlequin Puppet Theatre opens.

1960s

1961

Alcohol on Sundays legalised

It became legal to serve alcoholic drinks on Sundays

1961

Tram company

Tram company sold carriage licence to Crosville Motor Services Ltd.

1963

Welsh Mountain Zoo

Opening of the Welsh Mountain Zoo

1964

Colwyn Foulkes’ Architectural Practice

Colwyn Foulkes’ architectural practice founded.

1966

Alvin Langdon Coburn

November 23rd – Pioneering photographer Alvin Langdon Coburn dies at his home in Rhos-on-Sea.

1967

First Traffic Wardens

Town’s first Traffic Wardens

1970s

1971

Daniel Allen’s store

Daniel Allen’s store, Station Road closed.

1973

Police Headquarters

Opening of the North Wales Police Headquarters

1974

Borough of Colwyn

Borough of Colwyn and county of Clwyd created in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972. The Borough of Colwyn incorporated the former Borough of Colwyn Bay, the Urban District Council of Abergele and the Rural District Councils of Aled and Hiraethog.

1980s

1980

Amusement Park

December – Amusement Park (formerly Pat Collins’) closed

1981

Leisure Centre

Leisure Centre opened by H.R.H. Princess Margaret.

1984

Visit of the Queen

Visit of Her Majesty the Queen

1984

Llanddulas landfill site

Llanddulas landfill site opened by the Secretary of State for Wales

1985

A55 Expressway

Opening of the Colwyn Bay section of the A55 Expressway

1985

Visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales

Visit to Colwyn of their Royal Highnesses The Prince and Princess of Wales

1987

Bay View Shopping Centre

Colwyn Bay Town Centre – new shopping precinct and pedestrian way opened.

1988

Princes Drive Baptist Church

English Baptist Church sanctuary opened to accommodate expanding membership. Church name changed to Princes Drive Baptist Church.

1988

Miniature railway

Final season of the miniature railway along the promenade.

1990s

1996

Conwy County Borough Council

The county borough was formed on 1 April 1996 by merging the districts of Aberconwy and Colwyn  when it was originally named Aberconwy and Colwyn.  However, its council renamed the district a day later, on 2 April 1996 to Conwy.

Colwyn Bay Heritage Group