1900
Electricity supply
January 1st – Electricity supply by the Council to private consumers begins and proves so successful that the generating plant in Ivy Street has to be rapidly expanded
1900
St. Joseph’s Church
St. Joseph’s Church opened.
1900
Monsieur Jules Riviere
December 26th – Monsieur Jules Riviere died and was buried in Llandrillo-yn-Rhos churchyard.
1901
Urban District Council
Urban District Council’s offices in the Municipal Building, Station Road.
1901
Electricity Works
January 1st – Electricity Works started for General Supply
1902
Woodhill Baptist Church
Woodhill Baptist Church built by Welsh Calvanistic Methodists as an outreach of Engedi Chapel.
1902
Promenade and Sewage Works
The Colwyn Bay and Colwyn Urban District Act authorised the construction of a Promenade and new Sewage Works.
1902
Gas undertaking
January 1st – Gas undertaking acquired
1902
Horeb Chapel
November 2nd – Horeb Chapel, Rhiw Road, opened.
1903
Methodist chapel Hermon
Methodist chapel Hermon built (now site of Capel y Rhos).
1903
Eglwys Dewi Sant
Eglwys Dewi Sant (St. David’s Church) completed.
1903
Higher Grade School
January 12th – Higher Grade School formally opened
1903
St. John’s Church
St. John’s Church, Old Colwyn consecrated on August 13th.
1904
Town Hall
Town Hall opened (corner of Coed Pella Road and Conwy Road), fire station next door.
1904
Hebron Chapel
Hebron Chapel built.
1904
Bron y Nant Cemetery
Bron y Nant Cemetery completed and opened
1905–1907
Police Station and Town Hall
The Police Station and Town Hall were built in 1905-7 by Walter Wiles
1905
Nant-y-Glyn Methodist Church
Nant-y-Glyn Methodist Church built.
1905
Convent opened
Convent near St. Joseph’s RC Church opened.
1905
Free Library
1905 April 25th. Coronation Free Library opened.
1905
English Baptist Chapel
English Baptist Chapel opened.
1905
Isolation Sanatorium
April 25th – Isolation Sanatorium opened
1905
Promenade ARC lighting
August 18th – Promenade ARC lighting inaugurated. Rhos section – June 21st
1905
Pwllycrochan Woods
October 31st – Pwllycrochan Woods purchased
1906
Fairy Glen
August 1st – Fairy Glen, Old Colwyn, opened to the public
1906
Upper Colwyn Bay Water Supply Works
October 9th – Upper Colwyn Bay Water Supply Works inaugurated
1907
Trams running
Trams running from Llandudno to Colwyn Bay
1907
Opening of Sewerage Works
June 14th – Formal opening of new Sewerage Works
1907
Light Railway opened
October 19th – Light Railway opened for public traffic.
1908
Rhos Neigr sinks
The Rhos Neigr sinks off Rhos on Sea
1908
St. Andrew’s Church
Foundation stone for St. Andrew’s Church laid.
1909
Picture House
The Public Hall (Theatr Colwyn) converted into Colwyn Bay’s first “picture house”.
1909
English Methodist Church
English Methodist Church, Old Colwyn, built.
1909
New water main
March 31st – Water turned on to the District from new trunk main laid between Dolgarrog and Sarnmynach
1910
County Court at Colwyn Bay
August 2nd – Order of Privy Council for holding of County Court at Colwyn Bay
1910
Royal National Eisteddfod
September 13th-17th – Royal National Eisteddfod held
1911
Glan-y-Don Hall
Glan-y-Don Hall built.
1911
Electric Light Cable
March – Electric Light Cable extended to Old Colwyn
1911
Drill Hall (Princes Drive)
July 15th – Drill Hall (Princes Drive) opened
1912
Cayley Estate
Sale of the Cayley Estate
1912
Harold Lowe 5th officer on the Titanic
April 14th – Local man Harold Lowe was the fifth officer on the Titanic when it sank.
1913
English Baptist Church
English Baptist Church on Hawarden Road opened. Intention was to build a church and a church hall, only the hall was built at that time.
1914
Princess Picture Theatre
Princess Picture Theatre built
1914
Cayley Promenade
January 28th – Cayley Promenade embankment acquired
1914
H. M. Troops in Colwyn Bay
December 30th – H. M. Troops quartered in Colwyn Bay
1915
Visit of Chancellor of the Exchequer
March 2nd – Visit of Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rt. Hon. D. Lloyd George
1915
Light Railway extended
March 26th –Light Railway extended to the Queen’s Hotel, Old Colwyn.
1915
Colwyn Public Gardens
June.– Colwyn Public Gardens acquired by gift from Lieut.-Col. Williams Wynne.
1916
First Methodist services in Rhos-on-Sea
First Methodist services in Rhos-on-Sea held in the Playhouse, then a theatre and cinema (now Co-op Store)
1919
First Lady Member elected on the Council
April 7th – First Lady Member (Miss E M. Hovey) elected on the Council
1920
David Lloyd George
Prime Minister, David Lloyd George visits Tabernacl Chapel
1920
Presentation of Tank
January 12th – Presentation of First World War Tank.
1920
Wireless College
Wireless College relocates to Colwyn Bay
1920
Workmen’s Dwellings
November 30th – Erection of Workmen’s Dwellings at Rhos, public ceremony
1921
Acquisition of Eirias Park
April 12th – The local council purchased the first 27 acres of land for the park.
1921
Llandudno-Colwyn Bay road
May – Llandudno-Colwyn Bay through road opened for traffic
1922
Y.M.C.A. buildings
Y.M.C.A. buildings built
1922
Rhos-on-Sea Methodist Church
August 14th – Foundation stone of Rhos-on-Sea Methodist Church laid
1922
War Memorial unveiled
November 11th – War Memorial unveiled outside the town hall. Memorial tablets and memorial windows unveiled at St. Paul’s Church.
1923
Colwyn Bay Cricket Club
Colwyn Bay Cricket Club founded
1923
Parish of Llysfaen
1923 April 1st – Amalgamation of the Parish of Llysfaen with the Urban District by virtue of the Counties of Caernarvon and Denbigh (Llysfaen) Order 1922; and increase of members of the council from 24 to 28
1923
Royal Visit to North Wales
November 2nd – Royal Visit to North Wales. Visit of H.R.H. The Prince of Wales to Colwyn Bay
1923
New Electricity Supply
November 2nd – Electricity Supply – consent to alteration of system to A.C. (Alternating Current). November 30th Inauguration of New Electricity Supply, and ceremonial opening of new Distribution Station in Ivy Street by Lord Colwyn.
1925
Wynn Gardens
Wynn Gardens declared open.
1925
Royal Bank of Scotland
C.1925 – Royal Bank of Scotland building reconstructed to a design by architect Sidney Colwyn Foulkes for Williams Deacon’s Bank.
1928
Min-y-Don Park
July 18th – Opening of Min-y-Don Park and recreation grounds.
1933
St. Joseph’s Primary School
St. Joseph’s Primary School opened on land near the Church.
1933–37
Colwyn House
Colwyn House, Station Road, built for W. S. Wood department store.
1934
Charter of Incorporation
Charter of Incorporation granted.
1936
Penmaenhead Viaduct
Viaduct over Penmaenhead opened
1939
Germany invades Poland
September 1st – Germany invades Poland
1939
France and Britain declare war on Germany
September 3rd – France and Britain declare war on Germany
1939
First Air Raid Warning
Town’s first Air Raid Warning
1940
Battle of Britain
July 10th – Battle of Britain begins
1941
Literary Eisteddfod
Literary Eisteddfod held.
1941
Japanese attack Pearl Harbour
December 7th – Japanese attack Pearl Harbour, Hawaii
1942
Mines sighted off Rhos Pier
Mines sighted off Rhos Pier, Lllanddulas and Llysfaen jetties.
1943
Spitfire crashed
Spitfire “Borough of Colwyn Bay” crashed before having seen active service. Given its name to mark the townspeople’s war effort through National Savings investment
1945
USA drops the first atomic bomb
August 6th – USA drops the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan
1945
USA drops second atomic bomb
August 9th – USA drops a second atomic bomb on Nagasaki, Japan
1947
Colwyn Bay National Eisteddfod
Colwyn Bay host to National Eisteddfod.
1948
Synagogue opened
37 Princes Drive opened as a Synagogue.
1952
Old Colwyn railway station
December 1st – Old Colwyn railway station closed
1955
Cosy Cinema closed
Cosy Cinema (above what was Matthews Hardware) closed
1956
Last tram
March 24th – Last tram travelled from Llandudno to Colwyn Bay.
1958
Harlequin Puppet Theatre
Harlequin Puppet Theatre opens.
1961
Alcohol on Sundays legalised
It became legal to serve alcoholic drinks on Sundays
1961
Tram company
Tram company sold carriage licence to Crosville Motor Services Ltd.
1963
Welsh Mountain Zoo
Opening of the Welsh Mountain Zoo
1964
Colwyn Foulkes’ Architectural Practice
Colwyn Foulkes’ architectural practice founded.
1966
Alvin Langdon Coburn
November 23rd – Pioneering photographer Alvin Langdon Coburn dies at his home in Rhos-on-Sea.
1967
First Traffic Wardens
Town’s first Traffic Wardens
1971
Daniel Allen’s store
Daniel Allen’s store, Station Road closed.
1973
Police Headquarters
Opening of the North Wales Police Headquarters
1974
Borough of Colwyn
Borough of Colwyn and county of Clwyd created in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972. The Borough of Colwyn incorporated the former Borough of Colwyn Bay, the Urban District Council of Abergele and the Rural District Councils of Aled and Hiraethog.
1980
Amusement Park
December – Amusement Park (formerly Pat Collins’) closed
1981
Leisure Centre
Leisure Centre opened by H.R.H. Princess Margaret.
1984
Visit of the Queen
Visit of Her Majesty the Queen
1984
Llanddulas landfill site
Llanddulas landfill site opened by the Secretary of State for Wales
1985
A55 Expressway
Opening of the Colwyn Bay section of the A55 Expressway
1985
Visit of the Prince and Princess of Wales
Visit to Colwyn of their Royal Highnesses The Prince and Princess of Wales
1987
Bay View Shopping Centre
Colwyn Bay Town Centre – new shopping precinct and pedestrian way opened.
1988
Princes Drive Baptist Church
English Baptist Church sanctuary opened to accommodate expanding membership. Church name changed to Princes Drive Baptist Church.
1988
Miniature railway
Final season of the miniature railway along the promenade.
1996
Conwy County Borough Council
The county borough was formed on 1 April 1996 by merging the districts of Aberconwy and Colwyn when it was originally named Aberconwy and Colwyn. However, its council renamed the district a day later, on 2 April 1996 to Conwy.
