The English Presbyterian Church on Conway Road, at the junction with Hawarden Road, was opened on January 11th, 1891 by Principal Thomas Charles Edwards D.D. of the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth in front of a full congregation, including many members of other churches and chapels in the area. The congregation had moved to this new church following the sale of their previous building, also on Conway Road, opposite the bottom of Woodland Road West. The old church had been shared with the Welsh congregation until Engedi chapel was opened on Woodland Road West. The English church accepted an offer of £1,800 for the old church building and during 1890 held services in the Town Hall while the new church was built. The cost of the new church was £3,700 and a donation of £1,300 was made towards this by the Davies family of Bodlondeb, Bangor. An organ was added in 1896 at a cost of £595. A bazaar was held to raise funds and with donations from members £550 was raised. Elders were first elected in 1898 and further elders elected in 1905. In September 1908 the church hosted the English Conference of the Connexion’s visit to Colwyn Bay, supported by the Welsh Calvinistic Methodist churches. When the Rev. Alun Lewis, M.A. became minister in 1933 many new groups were formed within the church: Ladies’ Guild, Fireside circle, Band of Hope, Dramatic Society and a Young Worshippers’ League. In 1946 the church membership was over 200.
1887-1914 Rev. John Edwards 1915-1927 Rev. J. H. Howard, M.A., D.D. 1927-1932 Rev. Sydney O. Morgan, B.A., B.D. 1932-1940 Rev. Alun Lewis, M.A. 1941-1947 Rev. Dr. J. H. Howard, M.A. 1948-1974 Rev. G. Llewelyn Griffiths, M.A., B.D. Between 1975 and 1978 the church was without a minister. 1978-1986 Rev. Raymond Webb, T.D., B.Th. 1986-1989 Rev. W. O. Jones, C.F.
This fine and interesting church stands on the corner of Hawarden Road where it meets Conway Road and is one of a number of very red religious buildings in the town. It was built to the design of architect A.W. Smith of Manchester. The roof is of red tile with red ridges – note the courses of shaped tiles and the mythological creature on the ridge of the west wing. The walls are of a finely laid red brick. Much use has been made of terracotta, for example to the door and window openings, the parapet gables, the crosses on the ridge of the main building and in the tall slender spire. The nave is aligned north-south with a transept at the northern end. There is much of interest here – note in particular the octagonal tower and the spire with its windows, the open porches on both the western and eastern sides and the large transept window. On a more detailed level, delightful features include the bands of decorative floral and fleur de lys tiles on the south elevation facing Conway Road. The glazing is a pleasing mix of small paned leaded lights and stained glass. The boundaries to both Conway Road and Hawarden Road have ornamental iron gates and unusual iron gate pillars.
In November 2014 the English Presbyterian Church building was put up for sale.
The English Presbyterian Church building will have its Grand Opening as the Woodhill Baptist Church during the weekend of February 25th and 26th, 2017.
English Presbyterian Church, Colwyn Bay 1891-1991 T. H. Parry & T. M. Jones Hanes Dechreuad a Chynydd y Methodistiaid Calfinaidd yn Ngholwyn Bay a’r Cylch Cyfarfod Dosbarth Bae Colwyn: 1909