Matthews Hardware Store, Conwy Road

On Conway Road opposite the HSBC bank and above what used to be Matthews Hardware store was another of the town’ s cinemas.

Originally called the Colwyn Bay Cinema, it later became the Cosy and by 1937 was owned by the Kenyon Family who also owned the Princess Cinema. It closed in 1955 but is affectionately remembered as the cinema with the double seats in the back row – ideal for courting!

matthews hardware store

Note the Viking longboat on the front of the building.

Share this page
Colwyn Bay Heritage Group