Built in 1914, this was one of the many cinemas in the town. A balcony was added in 1932, together with neo-Egyptian embellishments to its architecture. Some picture houses had very plush interiors, complete with their own orchestra and café and were so grand that people nicknamed them “picture palaces”.
The Princess had been a bingo hall for some years before being converted into a pub (Wetherspoons) in 1998, by which time it was a Listed Building. The original Art deco interior of the Princess Picture House still survives today almost intact.