Sidney Colwyn Foulkes OBE, Hon.M.Arch (Liverpool), FRIBA, FILA., AMTPI.
The information presented relates to the work of Sidney Colwyn Foulkes’ work in Colwyn Bay and Rhos on Sea. He undertook much other significant work elsewhere, mainly in North Wales [particularly Beaumaris and the Snowdonia National Park (landscaping)] and in Cheshire [notably cinema design].
The properties featured are merely a selection of the most significant of SCF’s work in Colwyn Bay. There are many other local schemes that he designed, especially residential, not all of which were carried out.
- 7 Abergele Road
- Bethel Chapel, Miners Lane, Penmaenrhos
- Colwyn Bay Hospital, Hesketh Road
- Elwy Road Housing Estate, Rhos on Sea
- Heaton Place, Rhos on Sea
- Moryn, Cayley Promenade
- Ollershaw House, Rhos on Sea
- Rhos Playhouse
- Ridge Cottage
- Rydal School – Costain Building and Memorial Hall
- St. John’s Church House, Cliff Road, Old Colwyn
- Williams Deacon’s Bank, Conwy Road
- Woods Department Store, Station Road
- Wren’s Nest, Lansdowne Road
The assistance of Conwy CBC’s Archives Service is gratefully acknowledged in identifying properties designed by SCF.
The assistance and enthusiasm of the Colwyn Foulkes family and the production of the architectural descriptions of the featured properties by David Birch are also very gratefully acknowledged.