St. John’s Church, built in the perpendicular style at a cost of £12,300, is a fine example of the work of the eminent Chester architect, John Douglas, (1830-1911), who also designed St. Paul’s Church in Colwyn Bay. Together with the entrance gateway, it is a Listed Building.
Built as a daughter church to St. Catherine’s, the foundation stone was laid on October 18th 1899 at the base of the gabled eastern end by Miss Eleanor Frost of Min y Don Hall. The church was consecrated on August 13th 1903.
Local limestone has been used, complimented by red Cheshire (Runcorn) sandstone for the dressings for the door, window openings and window tracery. The green slate roof is laid to diminishing courses with red ridge tiles. Note the finely moulded arched doorway entrance and the large boot scrapers. The roof and nave are of red deal and the flooring of wooden blocks. Various windows, furniture and fittings were donated, such as the 3 stained glass windows dedicated to the Woodall family of Tan y Coed Mansion.
The west tower was originally to have an octagonal upper stage with a low spire. However the design was changed to today’s substantial buttressed tower with a projecting turret. A plaque on the western side, now partly obscured by shrubs, records the date of its construction (1912) in Roman numerals “MCMXII”. On the south-west corner a small door leads to the tower stairs.
The main entrance off Station Road is marked by red sandstone pillars and an iron arch with the lettering “ST JOHNS” with decorative gates below. A wide path, bordered by rope twist edging tiles, leads to the front porch. Have a look at the butterfly garden in the churchyard.