The former coach house and the tower in Tan y Coed Gardens were built in the early 1890s for Charles Woodall.
The left hand part of the Coach House is two storeys, built in limestone with sandstone window cills, lintols. mullions and parts of the gables. The slate roof has roll top socketed red ridge tiles. Noteworthy are the stepped (crow s tep) gables to the front and side gables, each one capped with a ball finial. The date 1893 is displayed on the northernmost front gable.
In the 1920s the Council offered the Mansion to the local Welsh international footballer, Johnny Neal, on condition that he opened a tea garden. His wife ran a dancing academy in the Mansion for over 40 years and her pupils gave public dancing displays. The Neals left in the late 1960s and the house was demolished in the mid-1970s.
During the Second World War American troops were billeted in Tan y Coed and drilled on the lawn and practised digging trenches in Min y Don Park.