Following National Eisteddfod tradition, this gorsedd stone circle was placed here in preparation for the proclamation ceremony of the Royal National Eisteddfod, which took place on June 26th, 1940. The National Eisteddfod of Wales, a celebration of Welsh culture through literary, musical and dance competitions, should then have taken place in 1941 but the outbreak of World War II meant that the event was cancelled and replaced by a smaller Literary Eisteddfod which took place at Church House, Old Colwyn and was also broadcast on the radio.
Granted royal status by the King, George VI, the Royal National Eisteddfod of Wales (Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Frenhinol Cymru) finally took place in Colwyn Bay in August 1947. A spacious pavilion was built in the park.
This was the first post-war Eisteddfod to be held in North Wales and was one of the most successful in recent memory with attendance of nearly 150,000 people.
Such was the success of the 1947 Eisteddfod that the town was presented with the beautiful ornamental gates (point 10 on this trail), which stand at the entrance to the park.
This trail is part of the Age Friendly Communities Project which is part funded by the European Regional Development fund through the Ireland and Wales Interregional Programme 2007 – 2013.