During the early years of the 20th century, it became evident that the Mission Church, situated in Coed Pella Road, was not sufficiently large to meet the growing needs of the west end of the parish, which had developed very significantly by this time. Recognising the need for a larger and better adapted building, local Church leaders initiated a movement which resulted in the erection of a new church building on the corner of Lansdowne Road and King’s Road.
The church’s foundation stone was laid on November 2nd 1908. The site had been purchased for £750 and the cost of building the first portion of the nave amounted to £1,469. A new chancel, organ chamber and vestry, at a further cost of £2,930, were undertaken in 1925.
Built to commemorate the church’s jubilee, the Jubilee Hall was opened on 23rd September 1960. It cost £3,000, most of which was raised by the parishioners.
The church closed for worship in 2017 and in 2018 was placed on the market for sale.
The original design, by J M Porter and Elcock, was for a double nave church, with a tower at the eastern end of the northern nave. Unfortunately this design was not completed. Only a single nave – some 72’ long by 25’ wide, with seating for 300 people – was ever completed. The building we see today consists of two parts – the original western portion, in an Arts and Crafts Gothic style – started in 1908, and the later eastern part of 1924, consisting of the chancel and north transept built in the Perpendicular style.
The roof of the church is in green Westmorland slate, laid to diminishing courses with smaller slates at the top and with simple long stone ridges. The walls are of uncoursed ashlar limestone with a rock faced finish. There are sandstone dressings to the windows, copings, gable parapets and the buttress tops. The south side of the nave is rendered – presumably to accommodate the intended nave extension.
A number of interesting features may be seen, especially in the earlier western part. It is worth noting the plaque below the unusual window on the western gable facing King’s Road commemorating the laying of the stone by Mrs Gamble on November 2nd 1908. The bold porch, with its pair of doors, is constructed of large shaped timbers on a stone base. In more detail, the dovetail keys securing the large pieces of wood, the projecting dowels or pegs strengthening the mortice and tenon joints and the benches at either side of the porch.
A delightful gabled bellcote, complete with bell, lies high above the porch, close to the ridge.
The grounds of the church are bounded by low limestone walls with substantial capping stones.
The main entrance, on the corner of Lansdowne Road and King’s Road, is marked by massive stone pillars and ornamental gates. A secondary entrance off Lansdowne Road lies further to the east.
The colourful herbaceous planting in the grounds of the church is particularly pleasing and does much to enhance the setting of the church.
The Nave has a fine open timbered ceiling of six bays, whilst the Chancel has three bays. The sanctuary floor has marble tiles with marble steps and the choir stalls are boarded and on a raised plinth. The fine chancel furnishings are in carved oak and include a reredos, altar rails and a prayer desk. A carved oak font is situated in a baptistery created at the east of the nave.
In memory of John Joseph Latimer Jones, Priest, Vicar of Colwyn Bay 1923/1926, the pulpit is constructed of oak and has a fine carving of St Andrew in the centre holding the decussate cross always associated with him.
Stained Glass Windows
The East window, given by Mr & Mrs Campling, is the work of James Powell. It has five lights – the two outer lights having the figures of St David, the patron Saint of Wales, and St Asaph, the patron Saint of the Diocese. The three middle lights depict the risen Christ at Emmaus, making himself known to the two disciples in the breaking of bread.
The five lower panels in the beautiful, arched, west window – dedicated on 14th March 1963 and the gift of Mrs R Robinson – depict a scene on the Sea of Galilee. St Andrew, the central figure, has heard the call to follow Jesus. James and John are shown on St Andrew’s right, having left Zebedee in the boat and about to forsake their nets and become Disciples. Peter, shown seated, continues to work on his nets – taking longer to be convinced before following Jesus.
At the bottom of each panel can be seen the symbols which are used to identify the figures: James on the extreme left has an Oyster shell, John the cauldron, whilst the prickly bush with red flowers is a Hyssop – common in the holy land and mentioned in the bible. The lobster pot is the sign of St Andrew and at St Peter’s feet is a basket containing three fishes. The upper panels have a background of Flemish figured rolled glass. In the centre are the Greek letters IHS, the first three letters of the name of Jesus. On the left of this is the Greek letter Alpha and on the right Omega, signifying that in Christ is the beginning and the end of all things. The white cross on the blur background is the cross of St Andrew, the diagonal cross on which he died. The crest on the right is that of the See and Bishop of St Asaph.
The St. Francis window has St Francis in the centre panel showing the Stigmata, with different small birds at his feet and a large green tree in the background. The left panel shows a lamb, with a large bird above and in the sky two smaller birds. Below the lamb is inscribed “My little sisters study”. The right hand panel has more animals an d in the bottom corner are two cats, Keri and Lucy, owned and named by the two sisters who gave the window in memory of their sister.
The other stained glass window has a figure of Christ with outstretched hands in blessing and includes the inscription IHS on the corner of his robe. The left panel of this window has the inscription “Jesus Christ the” written over figures of a man with a crutch, a lady with babe in her arms, and a young girl. The right panel finishes the inscription with the words “Divine Healer” above the figure of a mother with a lame son, a man with hands held out – pleading, holding a sick lady in his arms.
Further information: Church website