The Church was formally known as the Colwyn Bay English Baptist Church and was founded in 1884. At first the congregation shared the premises of the Welsh Baptist Chapel in Old Colwyn, holding separate services, but in 1888 they moved to share with Tabernacl on Abergele Road Colwyn Bay.
In 1893 they moved into a corrugated building on Abergele Road where “Stermat” now stands. This was sold 20 years later, along with the land to Braids garage, thus providing the funds for a new building in Hawarden Road. For ten months whilst the building work was being completed, the congregation worshipped in the Cosy cinema, on Conway Road. They finally moved into Hawarden Road on 18th December 1913.
The intention was to build a church and church house on the Hawarden Road site but only the church hall was built at that time. Complete with pulpit and baptistery, this was to be used temporarily as the sanctuary. A traditional sanctuary was intended in due course. In 1933 the ancillary rooms were much extended by way of a vestry, school room and kitchen.
Declining membership during the war years resulted in amalgamation with the Congregational Church (Union Church) on Abergele Road in 1946. However the congregation moved back into Hawarden Road in 1953.
In 1988 the new church sanctuary was opened to accommodate the expanding membership. Thereafter the church name officially changed to Prince’s Drive Baptist Church.
The Princes Drive Baptist Church consists of the old and the new. The modern part fronts both Princes Drive and Hawarden Road – a red tiled building with light brown brick and a large open porch on the corner. The old part of the church has a simple gable facing Hawarden Road, built of squared limestone with red sandstone window dressings and string courses. The window is now clear glazed.
Further information: Prince’s Drive Baptist Church website