The Catholic cause began locally in a small convent in Cliff Road in 1933 run by the nuns of the Order of St. Augustine. The nuns allowed its wider use as a chapel of ease for St Joseph’s Catholic Church in Colwyn Bay. During the War it became cramped due to the many Catholic evacuees and the Ministry of Food staff. The Sisters acquired another house next to the Convent and named it St Monica’s.
The present chapel, built in 1956, is constructed in a very red brick with a central doorway with three arched windows above. The adjacent building, dated 1907 on the rainwater hopper, is three storeys, of red brick with sandstone mullioned and transomed windows and with a slate roof. Circular bay windows – one on the front and one on the side – and a two storey bay on the projecting part add some interest.