The Plough was originally built in 1829, along with 10 cottages and a smithy, which together were the only freehold premises in the area at the time. The cottages were demolished in 1932 to permit road widening. The inn served the “The Hark Forward” coach which ran from Holyhead to Chester at the rate of 8 miles per hour.
In 1866 the refusal of Nonconformist children to submit to the requirement for scholars to attend the St Catherine’s church on Sundays led to the establishment of a school in the Plough’s hay loft. This continued until the British School opened in 1867.
In the 1920s and 1930s the yard behind the Plough was used for storing Ffyfes bananas.
The two storey, slate roofed building is built on a limestone plinth, with red brick on the front elevation to the ground floor and rendered above with mock Tudor black and white detailing to the upper parts of the gable. To the left hand side is a bay window with a red tiled roof. The main entrance, to the right of the bay, consists of a solid six panelled door with a carved stone lintol and a three light fanlight, notable for its stained glass.
The window cills, lintols, mullions and steps are of sandstone. Note the brick relieving arch above the three windows to the right of the main entrance. The attractive stained glass adds much to the character and appearance of the Plough Inn.