This neo-gothic folly tower was built in 1894 in the grounds of the Tan y Coed mansion as a retreat for its owner, Charles Woodall, where he could smoke – a pleasure which he was forbidden in the mansion. He was often seen dressed in his velvet smoking jacket and cap climbing the hill to his retreat.
The building is single storey, with a taller stair tower and is contemporary with the former coach house. The door and window openings have plain stone lintols.
During the Second World War the folly was used as a look-out post for soldiers who were constantly scanning the coastline for enemy craft. It was closed after the war, but in 1966 it was repaired and refurbished and was used for several years by the local branch of Toc H. By the 1990s it was in a dangerous state and was threatened by demolition. However in 1993 the Clwyd Historic Buildings Preservation Trust bought this Listed Building for £1 and, with the benefit of grants,
restored it as a single bedroom house. It was put up for auction in 1994 and was purchased by the Landmark Trust as a holiday let. It is now a private dwelling.