St. John’s Church House, to the side of St. John’s Church, is another fine example of the work of the eminent local architect, Sidney Colwyn Foulkes. This community centre, built in 1936 and now a Listed Building, was funded by public subscription and replaced the YMCA building in Beach Rd.
The first Literary National Eistseddfod was held here in 1941 as a wartime substitute for the normal festival, and was visited by David Lloyd George, the former Prime Minister. It is now a children’s activity play centre.
The original and interesting symmetrical front elevation is curved, with a hipped tiled roof and two finely detailed fluted ornamental chimneys. Of particular note is the finely executed brickwork, in Flemish bond, with the cable moulded brick string course.
Two foundation stones commemorate the building, to the left recording the names of the vicar and churchwardens and to the right the name of the person laying the stone on All Saints Day 1935. The hall lies behind the elegant front, with clerestory windows at high level. Note how the mass of the high fly tower at the rear has been terminated by a band of rusticated brickwork which forms a frieze.
The boundary to Cliff Road is marked by a low brick wall, with moulded coping bricks and with tile creasing below.