When the hamlet of Colwyn Bay was first formed beside its railway station, its affairs were managed from Conwy as part of Conwy Rural District. By 1887 it was sufficiently developed to justify its own local government area and was placed under the control of a Local Board. During the 1887-95 life of the Board, after which Colwyn Bay and Colwyn became an Urban District, there was considerable building activity. The Local Board held its meetings in the building where the Electricity Power Sub-station now stands. In addition to the Council Room the building housed the local Police Station and also a small, horse-drawn fire engine.

Before nationalisation of electricity and the establishment of the National Grid, each local council had to generate its own electricity for its street lighting and private consumers. Around 1899 this building housed the ‘Council Electricity Works’ supplying electricity to the promenade and later to private consumers, the first thought to be the Metropole Hotel in around 1901.
Dates of interest
1901 Electricity works started for the general supply.
1923 Consent for the alteration of electric systems to A.C. (alternative current) granted.
1923 The North Wales and South Cheshire Joint Electricity Authority established.
1923 (November 30th) The inauguration of the new electricity supply and the ceremonial opening of the new distribution station in Ivy Street by Lord Colwyn.
